Skip to content
5225 N. Academy Blvd. Ste.206 Colorado Springs, CO 80918 | 630-262-1435

B-1/B-2 Visitors: Change of Status Needed to Enroll in School

Before enrolling in classes, individuals who hold B-1 or B-2 status must first obtain student status, either F-1 (academic student) or M-1 (vocational student) status. USCIS recently reminded B-1/B-2 visitors that enrolling in classes while in B-1/B-2 status will result in a status violation. If B-1/B-2 visitors enroll in classes before a change of status application is approved, the B-1/B-2 visa holder will be ineligible for a change of nonimmigrant status from B to F classification, and will have to apply for a F-1 visa at a consulate abroad. USCIS encourages prospective students to work hand in hand with their Designated School Official (“DSO”) to coordinate the timing of applying for a change of status, and enrollment in classes. If you have any more questions regarding a change of status from B-1/B-2 to F-1 or M-1, please contact Jacqueline Lentini McCullough at , or 630-262-1435.