Skip to content
Skip to content
1880 Office Club Pointe, Ste. 235 | Colorado Springs CO 80920 | 630-262-1435

O-1 and P-1 Visas

What is an O-1 or P-1 visa?

The O category is for persons of “extraordinary ability” in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics. A P-1 visa is for individuals coming temporarily to the U.S. to perform at a specific athletic competition or entertainment event.

O-1 P-1


O-1 Requirements:  In order to qualify for an O-1 visa, extraordinary ability must be demonstrated by sustained national or international acclaim or a record of extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or TV industry in addition to temporarily entering the U.S. to continue work in the area of extraordinary ability. O-1 visa status may be held for up to three (3) years. USCIS will determine the initial amount of time needed to accomplish the initial activity in increments, up to a year at a time.

P-1 Requirements:  To qualify for a P-1 visa, the individual must be (1) an athlete or part of a group/team at an international recognized level of performance, a professional athlete or (2) a member of an internationally recognized entertainment group. The initial period of stay for a P-1 visa holder will be the time needed to complete the event but will not exceed one (1) year. An extension of stay may be obtained in increments of up to one (1) year to continue or complete the event.


  • O-1:
    • O-1A: The O-1A visa status is for Individuals with an extraordinary ability in sciences business, or athletics.
    • O-1B: The O-1B visa status is for individuals with an extraordinary ability in the arts or an extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or TV industry.
  • P-1:
    • P-1A: This visa classification allows a professional athlete to come to the U.S. to perform temporarily.
    • P-1B: The P-1B status are for those performing as a member of an entertainment group that has been established for at least one year and recognized internationally as outstanding in their entertainment area.


Throughout the years, we have aided Scientists, Physicists, and Engineers with O-1 petitions and extensions. For the P-1 category, we have assisted musical groups with P-1 petitions along with the consular process for band members to enter the U.S. for concerts.