Skip to content
Skip to content
1880 Office Club Pointe, Ste. 235 | Colorado Springs CO 80920 | 630-262-1435

K Visas

What is a K visa?

A K-1 nonimmigrant visa may be available to a U.S. citizen (“USC”) who would like to bring their fiancé(e) to the U.S. for the purpose of getting married. This visa allows for the foreign national fiancé(e) to enter the U.S. on a visa with the intent on entering a bona fide marriage. The petition is filed with USCIS by the USC and once approved, the fiancé(e) may make an appointment at a U.S. Embassy/Consulate abroad to obtain their K nonimmigrant visa. Once married, the foreign national spouse will apply for their green card to become a conditional permanent resident.

k-1 fiance


To qualify for fiancé(e) visa, the marriage must take place within ninety (90) days of the K-1 visa holder’s arrival to the U.S. with both individuals being legally eligible to marry. The foreign national will undergo a consular interview to determine their eligibility. The relationship must be shown to be bona fide and not for the sole purpose of obtaining an immigration benefit. One stipulation to proving a bona fide relationship is the couple must have met each other in person at least once within the two (2) year period prior to filing the petition.


  • K-2 [Children of Fiancé(e)s] Nonimmigrant visa meant for unmarried children under the age 21 of the foreign national fiancé(e).
  • K-1 [Fiancé(e)]: Nonimmigrant visa meant for foreign national fiancé(e) to come to the U.S. with the intent on marrying a U.S. citizen.
  • K-3/K-4 [Spouse & Children]: If the USC is already married to a foreign national living abroad and the Petition for Alien Relative has already been filed with USCIS, the foreign spouse and children* (if applicable) may seek to enter the U.S. on a K-3 (K-4 for children) visa while awaiting USCIS’ decision on the pending petition. *Same as above, children of the foreign spouse are only eligible if they are unmarried and under the age of 21.


Our firm has helped several U.S. citizens obtain K-1 visas for their fiancé(e)s from many countries around the globe including, but not limited to, Canada, Israel, Pakistan, and Qatar.