What is an E-3 visa for Australian Professionals?
The E-3 classification applies only to Australian Nationals working in the U.S. in a specialty occupation. This visa category has an annual cap of 10,500 visas available each fiscal year.
All applications for an E-3 must contain a certified Labor Condition Application (LCA) from the Department of Labor (DOL). The LCA can only be valid for a period of up to two (2) years, which is different than the H-1B LCA. E-3 visas can be renewed indefinitely. There is no limit on the number of E-3 extensions permissible.
An initial two (2) year period may be granted when entering the U.S. The LCA validity period must also be taken into account for valid E-3 status. Premium processing with USCIS has not always been available for the E-3 visa category, but it is now for those applicants seeking to extend stay within the U.S.
Aside from being an Australian citizen, to qualify for the E-3 classification, you must:
- Have a legitimate offer of employment in the U.S.;
- Meet the necessary academic and other requirements for the offered position; and
- Fill a position and perform work that qualifies as a specialty occupation.*
* Section 214(i)(l) of the Act, 8 U.S.C § 1184 (i)(l), defines the term “specialty occupation” as an occupation that requires:
(a) “theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge”; and
(b) “attainment of a bachelor’s or higher degree in a specific specialty (or its equivalent) as a minimum, for entry into the occupation in the United States.”
PATHS TO NATURALIZATION*
- Open spots remaining in the 10,500 available visas per fiscal year.
LENTINI VISAS EXPERIENCE
Since the E-3 category was established in 2005, we have assisted numerous Australian Nationals in all types of specialty occupations such as IT and Graphic Design positions obtain E-3 status.